And when I say 1600 years, I mean it. For it was on 1 May 418 that the Sixth Council of Carthage put a steak through its heart. You can’t get to Heaven on your own. No one, not even the saints, merited Heaven. The merit comes from the redemptive act of Calvary, which is offered to us freely, and which we are free to accept or reject. That freedom is tested in every moral act we make. It is only through our cooperation with sanctifying grace that we have a chance at the Beatific Vision.
Pursuant to the papal command, there was held on 1 May, 418, in the presence of 200 bishops, the famous Council of Carthage, which again branded Pelagianism as a heresy in eight (or nine) canons (Denzinger, “Enchir.”, 10th ed., 1908, 101-8). Owing to their importance they may be summarized:
- Death did not come to Adam from a physical necessity, but through sin.
- New-born children must be baptized on account of original sin.
- Justifying grace not only avails for the forgiveness of past sins, but also gives assistance for the avoidance of future sins.
- The grace of Christ not only discloses the knowledge of God’s commandments, but also imparts strength to will and execute them.
- Without God’s grace it is not merely more difficult, but absolutely impossible to perform good works.
- Not out of humility, but in truth must we confess ourselves to be sinners.
- The saints refer the petition of the Our Father, “Forgive us our trespasses”, not only to others, but also to themselves.
- The saints pronounce the same supplication not from mere humility, but from truthfulness. HERE
“Don’t worry, Emanuele, Hell doesn’t exist. In fact while we’re at it, neither does Purgatory. Even if those places did exist, your father was a “good” man who merited Heaven all on his own, straight away, and I’m sure he is already there, even though he was an atheist. He refused to cooperate with any of the graces offered to him, yes, but God forced him into Heaven, against his will, you know. This I am sure. This is our faith. So worry not, Emanuele, when you reach the age of reason, do what thou wilt. Just have your children baptized, and you’ll be good to go. Hakuna Matata.”
But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:6
And whosoever shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me; it were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he were cast into the sea. Mark 9:41
It were better for him, that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should scandalize one of these little ones. Luke 17:2
One thought on “Pelagianism: A wretched heresy 1600 years past its shelf life”
The anti-Pope denies Sanctifying Grace in Amoralis Laetitia. See James Larson at WarAgainstBeing.
Stake, through the heart of heresy. . . You’re very good at that, thanks. Jim Larson too, @ RosarytotheInterior.com. Since which–Candlemas 2018–the Bergoglio anti-Papacy has entered its death spiral.
Viva il Papa! Viva Benedetto!
And: Happy Birthday, Pope Benedict.